Monday, July 14, 2008

I’m Not a White Guy, but I Play One in Real Life… Or Do I?

StuffWhitePeopleLike.com is one of my guilty pleasures… ok, that’s a lie. I rarely feel guilty about anything and this is not the exception. I like the site. I think it’s funny. I think it’s spot on. And I wonder if it makes me a great big hypocrite.

As everyone familiar with the site already knows, it’s really less ‘stuff white people like’ and more ‘things yuppies/hipsters like’. As an aside, it’s interesting how hipsters and yuppies have basically become the same thing.

The fact is, I own a few t-shirts that make people on the street chuckle; I really care about grammar; and I think The Wire is the best show… ever! It hit me last week; maybe this is shit that I like as well.

Never being one to settle for mere appearances (it’s one of the reasons that I find yuppies and hipsters so annoying), I decided to do a little back-of-the-envelope calculating.

There are currently one hundred and three things on the site, and this is where I stand:

Things that I don’t mind: 30 out of 103 or 29.1%
Things that I actually like: 19 out of 103 or 18.4%
Things that I can’t stand: 39 out of 103 or 37.8%

I’m happy with the results.

Here’s the real question: when did yuppies and hipsters merge into one giant, smug, annoying demographic?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Here’s the real question: when did yuppies and hipsters merge into one giant, smug, annoying demographic?"

I would say in 2001. And now they have melded together, they are inseperable and stronger than ever before.